Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sherlock Jr.

I recently finished watching Sherlock Jr., starring Buster Keaton. This is the first silent film that I have ever watched in its entirety. This film has physical comedy that is unparalleled in any film that I have ever seen. This short film is about a young man who works at a movie theater, who is trying to marry the girl of his dreams. Things take a turn for the worse when he is framed for a crime that he did not commit. In his dreams, he enters the movie screen and becomes the world’s greatest detective.

The performance of Buster Keaton is absolutely hilarious. After looking at a massive list of the films that he starred in, I was impressed with his total body of work, and I am interested in watching more of his films in the future.

By watching this film, I believe I have turned myself on to a new genre of film. What makes Sherlock Jr. such a fantastic film is that is seems to transcend time itself. While some movies lose meaning and quality over the years, Sherlock Jr. has perhaps even gotten better over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment