Sunday, December 13, 2009

Bicycle Thieves

Bicycle Thieves is an Italian film set shortly after World War 2. It involves an father who desperately needs a job to provide for his family, and is given a job that requires him to use a bike to get around. The problem of the story, as the title implies, is tha the bike is stolen. The man roams around town trying to find it, seemingly stirring up trouble wherever he goes. The movie flows beautifully and the viewer is drawn to the plight of the man and his son. I was stunned to learn that this film did not use any professional actors. The performance of the father is comparable, if not better, than many of the star actors of today. I also found the acting of the man's young son to be impressive as well. His performance also helped drive the movie, making me sympathize even more with the characters. At first, I was skeptical of whether I would like this movie or not, but after seeing it, I truly enjoyed it. I highly recommend it to any avid film-goer or just anyone who wants to see a great film that is not very well known.

No comments:

Post a Comment